Thursday, July 24, 2014

WRAP CROP TOP DIY


Jeremy and I have finally returned from our four-month stint in Europe.  While I’ll miss the travelling, excellent food and magical sunsets, it’s always good to come home to San Diego—and all my crafting supplies.  Contrary to most peoples’ European adventures, I usually return with an empty suitcase.  I get so tired of lugging a heavy suitcase around that I donate most of my clothes to charity along the way.  So, left with only a few items of summer clothing, I decided to start sewing my own clothes.  
This wrap crop top is perfect for summer.  The crop top can be worn 3 different ways: knotted in front; tied in a front bow; (or my personal favorite) wrapped around the body and tied at the back.  It’s the first garment I’ve ever made from scratch and without a pattern.  I harvested fabric from a second-hand men’s shirt, sized large (I love a good recycle project!).  This wrap crop top pattern will fit a U.S. size 2-4.


Materials:
My free wrap crop top pattern (includes sewing allowance, print at 100%)
Men’s large shirt / 1 yard of fabric
Matching thread
Pins
Scissors
Sewing machine

Method:
1] Print and cut out templates.
2] Cut out your fabric pieces, as well as 3 long bias strips.

















3] With right sides facing sew the shoulder seams at ½ “
4]  Fold the front bottom edge ¼ “ and iron flat. Repeat and sew edge. Sew the back bottom edge the same way.

5] Fold the front angled edge ½“ and iron flat.

6]  With right sides together, sew the side panels at ½“.  Leave the side seam open.

7] Turn the side panels right side out. Fold the top seam of your side panel about an inch towards the center, creating 2 ridges. Do this for approximately 9”, tapering the fold as you go.  Iron flat.

8] Fold one ridge of the side panel down and iron. Do this on opposing sides to create the left and right panel. The flap that is ironed down will be sewn on the inside of the top. I hope my images help to explain this step.

9]  Pin the side seams of the side panel and the back of top together. Sew.
10] Pin the turned down edge of the side panel to the front of the top. Sew to ½” from bottom edge.  Make sure not to sew through the front of the side panel. 

11] Finish the neckline and armholes with bias tape and any raw edges with a zigzag stitch.


This is a really fun little crop top, which I definitely be wearing all summer long.  I’ll be making a few more garments for summer and fall, so stay tuned.

Also, don’t forget to subscribe or follow on Bloglovin to get free patterns and tutorials in your inbox.  You can also share the love by liking The Felted Fox on Facebook.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by, Nicole. 


30 comments:

  1. Really cute! I love the colors, great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this really hard to follow. what parts were cut off for those long panels? Do you have a video of this tutorial? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pattern, thank you! I have made it once and found I had excess material in the front section that created fabric puckering in the neck area. Any ideas how I can combat this? I'm going to make it again and don't want to make the same mistake

    ReplyDelete
  4. How can i get hold of the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to try this out!

      Delete
    2. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1gD-urNCAi9LUs5ZEFoRFhPVTA/edit?usp=sharing

      Delete
  5. Thank you very much for your sharing, I have learned a lot about womens crop tops.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting? I'm pleased I discovered it though, ill be checking back soon to find out what additional posts you include. linen wrap dress

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thankyou for sharing this blog with us. This blog is very mean to me. I go throgh your blog it is awesome. I literally love to conecpt of this style blogs. After seeing this fashion blog, i remind the Mis Fits Shirts and that was also so crazy.
    Your website has the most unique articles. Love to see you your article again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. Linen Wrap Dress

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can someone tell me how to print the pattern on A4 paper. When I look at the page settings in Adobe it is telling me that the document pages are 23.6 inch by 29.9 inch. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having the same issue. Did you figure this out?

      Delete
  10. hello, I get access denied in the pattern link

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can access to the file, could anyone help me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Same here, "access denied" on the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  13. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1gD-urNCAi9LUs5ZEFoRFhPVTA/edit?resourcekey=0-PhnnJdB3B1a23_mBVYfFiA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the link above. I think you have to be signed in to Google to access.

      Delete
  14. I don't know why it stopped working. Sorry about that. This was posted 7 years ago. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Who can pick out for me the best product from the list provided in this site?
    Cheap Crop Tops

    ReplyDelete
  16. I found this blog post to be excellent. The instructions were clear and concise, and the finished product looked great. I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a quick and easy way to create a wrap crop top. Polo Sidney White

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved reading your blog post about how to make a wrap crop top. I've never seen anything like it and it looks really cute in the pictures! I also loved the colors you chose. Custom Football Jerseys

    ReplyDelete
  18. Global Lover provides you the best quality Wholesale Dresses at reasonable prices. Women naturally like dresses when they were just a kid, dresses make women looks more elegant and charming. Global Lover offer all kinds of fashion wholesale dresses - club, maxi, evening, cocktail, prom, wedding, office, bodycon, midi, skater, bandage, print, sweater, casual, african, maternity dresses...You can always find right dresses for women online at Global Lover. Wholesale these Cheap Sexy Dresses for Women Online with full confidence. Wholesale Dresses

    ReplyDelete
  19. Upgrade your wardrobe with Ostilos' trendy collection of Crop Shirts for Women

    . Our crop shirts are designed to make a bold fashion statement while keeping you comfortable and confident.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Alright, so I'm not exactly a DIY guru, but that Wrap Crop Top DIY was gorgeous! Perfect time cause I had a lot of old shirts that I no longer use. Took my wife like 10 mins to make the sewing patterns alone but now she got this chic top that's gonna slay all summer!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm excited to share my thoughts on this fantastic DIY wrap crop top tutorial from The Felted Fox! This blog post is a true gem for all fashion enthusiasts and DIY lovers like me.
    can you buy gas with walmart gift card

    ReplyDelete
  22. I stumbled upon your fantastic DIY wrap crop top tutorial, and I have to say, I'm absolutely impressed! Your step-by-step instructions and the beautiful photos make it seem so doable. I can't wait to try making one for myself.
    https://www.frugalishness.com/promotions/review-discount-code

    ReplyDelete
  23. "I've been following this blog for quite some time now, and it never ceases to amaze me with its insightful and thought-provoking content."
    hollister employee discount

    ReplyDelete
  24. "The quality of this blog is a shining example of what dedication and a passion for knowledge can achieve. It's a beacon of excellence."
    fresh choice coupon

    ReplyDelete
  25. Get reliable and cost-effective "part worn tyres" in Aldershot. Each tyre undergoes rigorous inspection to ensure safety and performance. Part worn tyres Aldershot

    ReplyDelete

UA-39822949-1