Monday, April 8, 2013

COPPER VASE DIY



We recently replaced our water supply pipe with copper after discovering the old piping was electrical conduit. Yikes!  There were several pieces lying about the yard, which I knew I could use for something.  These vases were the end result. I hope you like them. 

What you’ll need:
Step 1:
Cut the copper pipe to size.  I used a hacksaw to cut 2 pieces approximately 6” in length. 

Step 2:
Use sandpaper to sand down any rough edges.

Tip: Tarnished copper can be cleaned by rubbing vinegar and salt over it. 

Step 3:
Knead and roll out the oven-bake clay on a clean surface.  Once the clay is about ¼” thick, cut a circular base about ¼” wider than the pipe.


Step 4:
Press the clay down the sides of the tube, thinning it as you work your way down. 

Step 5:
Roll a larger piece of clay to ¼” and cut to the desired size. 

Step 6:
Roll the clay around the pipe and use the modeling tool (or your fingers) to pinch the seam closed. Lightly press the bottom sides to seal the base of the vase.

Step 7:
Using the palm of your hand gently roll the vase on a clean surface.  This will seal the seams and get rid of any pinching marks left on the clay. 

Step 8:
Cut out your desired shape.

Step 9:
Bake according to the instructions on the packaging.  



8 comments:

  1. Nicole - you started your blog! HOORAY! HOORAY! HOORAY! Let me know if you need Chickie to model any of your felting projects. I'm really excited to see your projects. Maybe someday I'll have time to actually do one of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer. Thanks for your support. I'm sure we can find time to do some crafting during the Prestholdt reunion chaos.

      Delete
  2. SO creative and beautiful! I just found your blog and I'm in love. I can't wait to check out more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful! could easily be achieved with pvc pipes with a metallic spray paint as well.
    was wondering: did you bake the clay vases with the copper tubes still attached?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erica,
      I did bake the vase with the copper pipe inside, as the polymer clay bakes at a very low temperature. If you make it with the painted pvc please send me a photo or let me know how it goes. Thanks, N

      Delete

UA-39822949-1